Thursday, September 11, 2014

La Vega / Hacienda Jacana

My plan was to drop my nephew off to Talparo, but my other nephew decided he wanted to take us both to La Vega Estate in Gran Couva. I gladly agreed and went along for the ride. I have been hearing a lot about how much La Vega has been developing recently, and even saw a short spotlight about it on local television. As we arrived, I was totally unaware that there was a HUGE garden centre, and being the first thing you see when you enter, I was rather overwhelmed. We took a quick walk around, checking out all the plants available, and made me remember that I really need to start up a little herb garden in my front yard. I have been to a few plant farms before, but nothing as large as this, so it really was a surprise to me. We drove around the actual estate a bit more, and saw a few of the huts available to rent and the tilapia filled ponds that were set up for visitors to fish from, and rod rentals with bait were also available. A really nice change of pace to spend a day with a group of people. There were also a few cabins that you can rent if you wanted to spend a few nights out there. We just drove around the place to check out the area, but I didn't get an official tour of the entire estate, so I would need to head back and spend a full day to really experience it all.







After leaving, we took the back road from Gran Couva up to Talparo. Along the road, I realised that I actually drove along here before on my trip to Knolly's Tunnel, but this time, we were going the opposite direction. Our destination was Hacienda Jacana, another peaceful country getaway. This was a much smaller estate, but more geared for longer stays. There are 4 cottages that each have 2 rooms, a lake to canoe on, a small lounging pool, and a bbq area. A very cozy setting, seems like a lovely place for a family to spend a weekend, or a couple looking for a romantic escape. When you are fed up of all the hustle and bustle of city living and just want out, this is the perfect example of what I would choose to do. Alas, this was just a visit to see the place and I got to walk around the grounds, didn't get to see inside the cabins or spend a night, so I can't give a proper review, but I definitely won't mind spending a weekend here, whenever I get a full weekend off again.











2 comments:

  1. Ooo, I'd never heard about Hacienda Jacana, it looks lovely!! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hacienda jacana has been on my to do list for the longest while. Looks like such a peaceful retreat.

    ReplyDelete