Sunday, August 3, 2014

Galera Point (Toco) Lighthouse

Today started off with a drive to visit Hollis Reservoir, but after getting there, we realised that it was closed to the public. Spoke to one of the residents in the area and he said that a special pass is needed to get to it, which I now have to find out about so that I can visit. A friend suggested that we just take a drive up to Salybia, we all agreed and started heading that way. While in the area, I stopped and took a few photos along the way, until another suggestion was made to visit the lighthouse. I though, well, I never been, and I have always wanted to go, so why not. So off to the lighthouse we went.
The drive was a bit longer than I expected, and while driving there, it was overcast with rain every now and then. I felt a bit negative about the whole thing, but kept on going. After what seemed like an eternity to get there, we parked in the car park for the lighthouse, with rain still pouring down. Within about 10 minutes, the rain stopped, and the sky cleared up and the sun came out in all it's glory. We got out and walked around a bit, my friends that were with me, have been a few times before, but it was my first visit, so I had no idea what to expect. While I was in the car waiting on the rain to stop, I was looking at the lighthouse through the window, and it somehow seemed rather small, yet, as I stood under it, the structure seemed enormous.
Beyond the lighthouse, was a cliff that you could walk out onto, the north east point of Trinidad. It was really amazing to be there, the view was beautiful, the ocean pounding on the rocks below, and faintly in the distance, the silhouette of Tobago. It was one of those places that I felt a sense of respect for ocean, seeing the strength and power of it. There were many other people visiting, and quite a few people showing up to fish, would really be interesting to see what they actually catch from there.
After the long drive and all the rain, and feeling somewhat negative about going, I ended up with an experience I enjoyed. After leaving I felt renewed, and forgot about all the negatives getting there. Even the drive back home was easier and more relaxing. I would encourage everyone to make a trip there if they are in Trinidad, you get to see a different side of the country, figuratively and literally.












No comments:

Post a Comment