Saturday, January 31, 2015

Las Cuevas

I left the office early, just before 2pm, and it was a bright clear day, so I decided to take a quick run up to Las Cuevas beach. I will admit something, and it shocks most of my friends, but I have never been there before. I probably went when I was young, and can't remember it, but I know for sure in my teens and adult life, I have never been. I passed it a few times, been to waterfalls in the area, just never went to the beach itself, until today. I packed a towel and my point and shoot camera and headed out. Arrived at about 3pm and it wasn't too crowded, then again, I have no idea what crowded is for here. I walked about at the top looking down at the beach and took a few pictures, then headed down to take a swim. The water was extremely clean and clear, and despite the heat of the day, it was rather cold. I walked most of the shore, and took a few pictures along the way. On one end was an area with lots of fishing boats, and on that end, some guys were playing football. Lots of families were around, with the kids playing in the sand, digging holes or making castles. Not many people were out swimming, but the lifeguards that were patrolling kept a watchful eye on them.
I took another short swim and headed back up to the restaurant/bar area, ordered up some fried wings with a side of french fries and an ice cold beer. Sat overlooking the beach as the sun began to set. When my meal was complete, I headed back home, had to pass Maracas Bay on the way back, and today there was carnival on the beach, so lots of costumes and half the road was blocked. It caused a bit of traffic, but it was enjoyable to watch. I really wanted to get out to take some pictures, but there was no available parking and with all the traffic around, I just enjoyed the view from the car.
Las Cuevas is definitely a lovely beach and I can't wait to get back there, hopefully for an entire day next time.









1 comment: