Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fort Abercromby

After last weeks visit to Las Cuevas, I was asked by my friend Emily why I didn't visit Fort Abercromby just around the corner. I was not even aware that there was a fort near by, so this week, I headed back up to look for it. Just past the entrance to Las Cuevas, there is a small village, you just turn into the area, and drive to the end of the road. There is a small parking area and a sign giving the history of the place. Walking towards the area, I passed some steps going up the hill with a sign saying "this way to lookouts" so I took a detour and headed up. There were quite a bit of stairs, but the views were incredible, and looking down I saw what looked almost like a small bay with a few people there. Headed back down the stairs and saw what was left of the "fort" which was just basically a wall with 2 cannons leaning on it. The fort itself, was destroyed in 1805 when an officer saw a fleet approaching and thought they were defeated, so he burnt down everything and retreated. The fleet was that of Lord Nelson, heading to the battle of Trafalgar.
Just past the cannons, there was a path down to the bay I saw, turned out it wasn't so much a beach, but it was still clean clear waters that you can swim in and get in and out of along the rocks. I was told that you could jump off the end of the cliff and swim in, but, I was a bit skeptical, and was unsure of the ocean currents at the time, so I didn't take the chance alone. Heading back, you pass another path that leads to the fishing village next to Las Cuevas, then we headed back to Las Cuevas again to relax. Really a great spot, only my second visit, but definitely my new "go to" beach.
I almost forgot, I got a sj4000 which is a gopro clone, so I took some video of the day to share, I have no idea how to edit video or do anything fancy with it, so I just put together some clips with some random song that was available from YouTube.











1 comment: