Sunday, November 30, 2014

Lopinot

Today was one of the best days I have had in quite some time. I headed to Lopinot Historical Complex, because growing up, I heard that my grandmother lived there as a child. I really didn't know much about it, other than it was owned by Count Lopinot, and it was once a large cocoa estate. There have also been lots of ghost stories about the area, and the curator that was there today told me it was featured on a television program called Ghost Hunters. There is lots of history, and mystery, which made it interesting, but what I was unaware of, was that today was their heritage festival. The Lopinot area has a lot of Spanish heritage, and they have this heritage festival annually, that showcases all the Spanish foods, music and traditions that were brought over. Again, being close to Christmas, the main attraction was the Parang music, so bands from all over the country were showing up to perform on stage. Unfortunately, I was there way too early, and everything was now being set up, but I got a glimpse into what I could only imagine the afternoon/evening had to offer. There were tents set up all around the grounds with games, crafts, instruments, food, toys, and a stage was set up to host the bands that were to perform later that afternoon. There was even a display of how to "dance the cocoa". Just across the street was a bar where a dj was set up playing some parang, and lots of people were dancing and enjoying the festivities. This is exactly what I love to experience, everyone was there to have a good time, no one looked at me as an outsider or that I wasn't welcome, everyone was friendly and smiling, the few people that I talked to, our conversations went on forever. Everything just made me feel at home. I was totally unprepared for it all, and hardly had any cash on me to sample all the amazing foods I was smelling. This is a event that I already put a reminder in my calendar to attend next year.




















No comments:

Post a Comment