Saturday, November 29, 2014

Sorrel

This post is a bit different, not so much about visiting anywhere in particular, but more about a tradition we have here in Trinidad. It is coming up to Christmas time, and we celebrate it a little differently. For me, Christmas is about family and food, I love all the "Christmas" foods and drinks we have, and my favourite drink of the season has to be sorrel. It is made from boiling the sepals of the Roselle plant, adding some spices and sweetening to taste, in some instances, a touch of rum or brandy is also added. I took a drive on the highway this week and saw for sale, so I pulled aside and got me a few pounds, and made me up a batch. I made close to 4 litres and it was done in under a week. I don't have an exact recipe, but you basically cut off the sepals, boil them, add clove and cinnamon (not too much, you don't want the spices to overpower the flavour of the sorrel), then when it is done, LEAVE IT. Seriously, this is very important, just leave it to cool, leave it overnight if possible. The longer it cools, the longer it gets to steep. You can always add more water if the flavour is too concentrated. And finally, sugar to taste. One of the most delicious and refreshing drinks to me, and I can't get enough of it. This week, I will be looking for some more to make another batch.







1 comment: