Saturday, May 30, 2015

Peru IV, Lake Titicaca

Our final destination was a town called Puno, overlooking Lake Titicaca, and at an elevation of 12,500 feet, it's the highest point that I have ever been to. We spent a night in Puno then took a boat out to the Uros Islands the next day. The Uru people live on these man made floating islands made of reeds, and it's really quite impressive how they are made. It was also quite funny that, if a family has a falling out, they just break off the part of the island that they live on, and float away to another part of the lake. The surface of the islands have to be replaced with fresh reeds every 2 weeks or so, as the lower layers degrade away. Their houses, boats and even furniture are also all crafted from the reeds.
We headed a little further to the peninsulas southern tip, to a village called Llachon, where we had lunch, dinner and stayed the night with the families in the village. Unfortunately, when I got there, my flu got the better of me, and I was in bed the entire afternoon and night, so I missed out on all the activities the rest of the group did, I was especially jealous that I missed an amazing sunset over the lake. The next morning, however, I woke up feeling myself again and had breakfast with everyone, then the families made us all dress in their traditional clothing, everyone was in high spirits, they even sang us a few songs. At the end of it all, we got an amazing leaving ceremony that was quite a spiritual and emotional experience. After leaving Llachon, our final stop was Taquile Island, where we had lunch and learned a bit about the inhabitants there. From the island, you can see a bit of Bolivia in the distance. Visiting these 3 places was really quite humbling, to see people living simple lives, void of consumerism and limited technology. The people use their hands, not on electronic devices, but to work the land and grow their food, or craft the clothing they wear. There is no crime, because there is no greed. Everyone has what they want, and bartering is still a common practice. They all live a simple, beautiful life, and have values that we should all be following.
This trip to Peru definitely changed my life, in more ways than one, and the memory will live on with me (at least for as long as my memory stays intact). If ever you have an opportunity to experience that country, grab it and go, you will not regret it.








No comments:

Post a Comment