Sunday, March 8, 2015

Phagwah

Holi, or as we call it in Trinidad, Phagwah, is the festival of colour. A traditional Hindu religious festival that takes place all around the world. I first experienced it last year and promised myself I would definitely go again this year.
Yesterday I was looking at photos and videos to see how people from different places celebrate, to get some ideas as to what I would write about, and my favourite quote was "people smile and laugh as the colour touches them, and it makes us look alike, which is the best part of this festival".
I could't agree more with that statement. As I walked in with my clean white t-shirt and got my first splash of coloured water out of one of the children's water guns, a huge smile appeared on my face. I felt like I am now part of it all and it made me happy. After just a few minutes of walking through the crowds, you become covered with multiple colours, either from coloured water or abir powder. Everyone is smiling and laughing, from kids to seniors, all genders and races, and everyone, for that short period of time, are all one. I took my camera with hopes of taking tons of photos, but I quickly realized that I was too nervous about the camera getting wet so that got put away early, and I went on to just enjoy myself and spread the love (and colour). This is something that I think everyone should experience, go in with the right attitude and you would have the time of your life. It makes you feel like a child again, having a watergun fight or playing tag with complete strangers. I am looking forward to next year already, hopefully these stains would wash off by then.











No comments:

Post a Comment